Monday, April 18, 2022

Never Coming Home by Hannah Mary McKinnon


 

I received a copy from NetGalley and am providing a review. Publishing May 24, 2022. Not my picture.

Lucas – the main character you will like and then dislike and then like again. The like centers around his apparent caring for his dad. The dislike stems from Lucas wanting to get rid of everyone around him, his wife, his mother-in-law, his brother-in-law, even his neighbors Diane and Karina. Lucas also has a sense of humor.

Michelle – Lucas’s wife. Rich to boot.

Nora – Lucas’s mother-in-law. Terminal illness.

Travis – Lucas’s brother-in-law. Drug addict because this story needs one.

Diane and Karina – the neighbors. As it happens, Diane is the hospice care worker assigned to Nora. Karina, by profession, is an outstanding makeup artist.

Roger – Lucas’s dog. A mutt really. Roger is an important character in this tale.

This is a quite humorous tale that Ms. McKinnon has written from Lucas’s perspective. In some parts, I found myself not liking Lucas very much, the lengths he went to just to cover his tracks. In some parts, I found myself liking Lucas, the way he cares about his dad and Roger, his mutt dog. Not to mention the hilariousness of all the little things that were happening to him. All of these characters together make this a page-turning book. I admit it took me two starts, but once I started reading this story, I wanted to keep on reading to see what happened. I wasn’t disappointed.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment