Sunday, May 1, 2022

Under Her Care by Lucinda Berry Book Review


 

Publishing June 2022; not my picture. 

I received a gifted copy and am providing a review.

I am up at 4 a.m. on a Sunday morning because I cannot get this book out of my head. I went into this book without knowing what it was about because … Lucinda Berry! I’ve read all of her books, so this one has to be good, right? RIGHT! I knew I was in trouble as soon as I read the prologue … I should never start one of her books at lunchtime or in the morning before I have to start my workday. To say I was hooked is an understatement.

Annabelle – The victim in this story, the one this tale is based on.

Casey Walker – A therapist who works with children with autism spectrum disorder is called in to help with the case this story is built around. She has a daughter, Hannah, who also has ASD. Casey’s father is also involved in this tale as he helps take care of Hannah while Casey is at work, on top of which they are dealing with the loss of Casey’s mom.

Detective Layne – His title speaks for itself. He comes across as a not-so-smart detective, but that’s not true.

Genevieve Hill – What a character she is! She is the rich, I’m better than you character. Genevieve is involved in many different programs, trying to raise awareness for ASD, but there’s another side to her.

Mason – Genevieve’s son who also has ASD. Extremely important character.

Savannah – Genevieve’s estranged daughter who has issues of her own, but she’s tucked away at Ole Miss.

This book starts out with a bang and … does … not … stop. It is filled with so many twists and turns, it’ll leave your head spinning and by the time you get to the end you’ll be asking yourself what you just read, as well as why you didn’t see THAT around the corner. Not to mention what happened to John, Genevieve’s husband. That could be a story on its own. This tale is twisted on so many levels, a little dark, and a little creepy. Exactly my kind of read.

No comments:

Post a Comment