Friday, January 16, 2015

The Reagans




Nancy Reagan is my absolute hero.

I found this interesting article about Mr. Reagan's disease - http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/feb/3/alzheimers-reagans-long-goodbye/?page=all



This is not about politics. This is not about making a movie. This is one of the many faces of Alzheimer's.

I remember watching an interview one time with Mr. Reagan ... 60 Minutes or something ... they asked him about Nancy. I remember him saying something to the effect that he "missed her as soon as she left the room." That is an amazing statement on their relationship, I think!




Why is Nancy Reagan my hero, you ask? Because she stayed. Through it all, she stayed. To me, that makes Nancy Reagan a remarkable woman. She stayed.

Alzheimer's is a devastating, heartbreaking disease. While most people may have thought about leaving or maybe putting their loved one in a home, and maybe she did, I don't know, but she stayed. Together, while he could, The Reagans brought some attention to Alzheimer's.

In the article I posted above, at the very end, it states that there were days when he didn't know her - she stayed.





If anyone would like to share their personal story of dealing with Alzheimer's, whether it be through care-giving or losing someone, do not hesitate to contact me: mjammons@comcast.net - We can tell your story with pictures, a favorite Bible verse, a poem, a prayer ...

Also, for those dealing with grief for whatever reason, remember we all heal in our own time, in our own way. Grief is as individual as we are. This web site can help - http://grief.com.

This is one of the faces of Alzheimer's. This is one of the faces of the many caretakers. This is the face of an amazing lady who stayed with her husband until the very end.

This is not political. This is not about movies. This is one of the many faces of Alzheimer's.

No comments:

Post a Comment