Saturday, August 3, 2024

Imaginary Strangers by Minka Kent Book Review


 

I received this book as a gift.

I knew I shouldn’t have started this book before I went to work in the morning. It had me hooked from the get-go. I would have devoured this one in a single day if I could have.

Let me tell you about Camille, the main character. She’s a mom of two, Jackson and Georgiana (or Jack-Jack and Georgie). This quiet family of four lives in San Diego in the ‘Pill Hill’ neighborhood, having moved there from Chicago. Her husband, Will, is an anesthesiologist at the local hospital, so this home was perfect for them. A safe neighborhood, schools nearby, the hospital just seven minutes away from home.

I found a lot of symbolism in this tale. I correlated Lucinda to Lucifer. I was especially intrigued by the plant Camille kept, a Venus flytrap of all things. I was even more intrigued with the story behind how Camille acquired this plant. The ending leads me to believe that there is more to Camille’s story.

This story takes on sociopathy, which I found to be put forth in a very nonjudgmental, concise way lending to the author’s research into the subject. All around, this is the kind of dark tale I enjoy reading and, I have to say, I think it is one of the best books this author has written.

No comments:

Post a Comment