Saturday, August 3, 2024

Gone to Texas: A Desperate Journey by Debra Parmley Book Review


 

I received this book as a gift, and it has been sitting on my shelf for quite a while. I’ve wanted to read it for some time and I finally did.

This is not my normal genre, but I have to say … I really enjoyed reading about Sally and her venture to the State of Texas. The premise is Sally wakes up one morning to find her husband, Luke, and her son, Matthew, disappeared in the night. Sally is left with the farm and her daughter, Carolyn. Sally can’t read so when she finds a note left for her, she has someone read it to her. Back in 1867, the time of this tale, I suspect a lot of women can’t read so this detail added more to Sally’s character and story.

Enter Ozzie Moss, the man who led Sally and her family years ago on a different trail ride. By now, Ozzie is an old man, but he agrees, grumbling the whole time. I liked Ozzie’s character. He’s gruff and a bit weathered but a kind soul.

Enter Rob. Rob has his own story, a part of which is never falling for another woman. He’s only out to find Luke and pay him back for what he did years ago. He wasn’t expecting Sally, and Sally certainly wasn’t expecting Rob.

This is a modern-day take on a western, so if you like westerns, historical reads, a bit of a love story, second chances, some trials of what it was like back in 1867 getting from one place to another, I highly recommend you pick this one up. Again, this is not my usual genre to read, but I really enjoyed the storyline, the characters, the realness of the telling in this tale. Don’t let Sally fool you either, she’s tougher than you might think. I also liked finding out about Aunt Doe … there’s a story in itself there, which also involves Ozzie. I found this to be a really good story with quite a few colorful characters. Give it a read! I’m looking forward to the next two books in this series.

Gone to Texas: A Desperate Journeyhttps://amzn.to/3XyWVLP

No comments:

Post a Comment