Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Alzheimer's is Not a Joke

I wonder if I am super sensitive to the subject of Alzheimer's. As I was scrolling through Facebook one evening, I saw something that was rather disturbing ... to me anyway.

A friend of mine had posted, as we all do, a miscellaneous fact about her father having forgotten his overnight bag when he came to their home. He went home and again forgot his bag. See? Just a random post about life. One of her friends commented to the effect that maybe he has Alzheimer's. Why is this a joke in our society?

That is as bad as using the word "retarded" in describing something, I think.

Alzheimer's is one of the 10 leading causes of death today!

This is a seriously mean, debilitating illness/disease that we need to educate ourselves about, not make jokes about.

No comments:

Post a Comment