Monday, March 18, 2019

Cape May by Chip Creek Book Review

SPOILER ALERT!

The setting is Cape May, New Jersey, back in 1957. Henry and Effie have just graduated high school and gotten married. They go to Cape May for their honeymoon as Effie's uncle, at her mother's persuading, let them stay at his cottage. They discover each other sexually for the first time, shy at first. Their shyness didn't last long. Enter Clara and Max ... Clara is a long-ago friend of Effie's cousin, Holly. The four of these characters get up to a lot of no good in a time when I suspect what they did was unacceptable and, fortunately, for the most part, happened behind closed doors. Enter Alma, Max's "charge." Ultimately, Henry and Alma have an intense sexual affair and fall in love. Near the end, Effie finds out about their affair. Does Effie stay with Henry or kick him to the curb? Do Henry and Effie have a future together? What happens to Clara? To Max? To Alma?

While this genre of book is not what I would typically read, I gave it a shot as I received an ARC (Advance Reading Copy). I suspect if you are into books from that time period you would find this an entertaining tale of discovering one's sexuality and some other shenanigans. For me, not so much. I'm more of a legal/crime kinda girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment