Tuesday, May 25, 2021

The Maidens by Alex Michaelides Book Review


I received a gifted copy and am providing a review.

I have had my eye on this book ever since I started seeing that Mr. Michaelides had a new book coming out, so when I received a copy in the mail one day I squealed with delight – literally. I devoured this book in two days … yeah, I think it is that good. I thought “The Silent Patient” was good as well, but “The Maidens” is ohsomuch better. There is even a tie-in to “The Silent Patient,” which I find rather intriguing. This book has it all and so much more. 

Mariana is Zoe’s aunt. She goes to help Zoe through a crisis at the college she is attending. Mariana is also a group psychotherapist, which lends to an underlying story of Henry throughout. While trying to help Zoe through a difficult time, Mariana encounters an old school mate, Julian. She meets Fred. She meets Morris who is the college’s head porter. She meets Edward Fosca, one of the college’s professors, who has created a group of favorite female students, “the Maidens” as they are called. Mariana also meets Chief Inspector Singha who is none too happy to have her around. She meets Elsie who is one of the college’s bedders. Mariana is also still grieving the loss of her husband a year ago, Sebastian. She is also reunited with one of her mentors through college, Clarissa. And a lot of Greek mythology mixed in. 

I found this book so well crafted it was hard to determine who the bad guy was. And the twist … the secrets … the determination of Mariana to find answers who also finds an inner strength she didn’t know she had or needed to discover. Well done, Mr. Michaelides, well done!

No comments:

Post a Comment