Tuesday, November 8, 2022

Interview with Debra Parmley as Presented by Itsy Bitsy Book Bits


 

For those new to your work, please tell us a bit about yourself, your books, and your genre/s.

I live in a motorhome full-time with my husband and we travel the U.S. while I write. I write in several subgenres of romance and I'm most known for military romantic suspense books writing as Debra Parmley. As Debra Bishop, I write fairy tales, fantasy and children's books. I've started a non-fiction memoir about our first year in the motorhome. 

What lessons have you learned as a writer?

There are so many, but the main one is to trust where the story wants to go. 

If you won the lottery, what would you do with the money?

I would pay off all our debts, then hire some people to help me with my book business, and we'd take a trip to Tahiti and stay in the over-the-water huts. I would make sure my family was doing okay and then I'd donate to a few places. 

In your everyday life, how do you give back to the world?

I believe that every day we are alive is a beautiful day and that is how I live. I hope that my example can inspire people. I try to put positive things into the world with my words and my actions.

If your life was a song, what song would it be and why?

What a Beautiful World. Because that is what I see when I look at our world.

Name two authors you wish more people knew about.

Susan Boles who writes southern cozy mysteries, and Jocie McKade whose books make me laugh. 

What are some of your hobbies?

I love to read, take walks on the beach, watch the ocean and the sandpipers, write, dance, sing, shoot pool, long guns and my Mongolian horse bow (primitive archery), collect shells, cross stitch, and read stories to my grandkids. 

When reading reviews, what is something you love to see written?

I love to see what the reader enjoyed about the story, how it made them feel, and what they'd like to see more of. 

What are you currently working on?

I'm working on my first SEAL series which will come out in August.

​What books are currently in your to-read list?

The Warrior by Sharon Sala, Dragonblade by Kathryn LeVeque, Key West Slam by Mike Pettit, and By the Light of the Silvery Moon by Tricia Goyer which I just started reading. The rest of my list is way too long to share here. 

What is your favorite book made into a movie/TV show?

Stardust by Neil Gaiman.

What is something people would be surprised to know about you?

I walked the plank of a pirate ship off the coast of Grand Cayman in the Caribbean, and I have a water phobia and a fear of heights. But then I climb lighthouses because I'm afraid of heights.

What is your favorite season of the year and why?

Summer because I can walk on the beach barefoot and listen to the ocean.

How do you overcome writer's block? 

I write on a legal pad and move from room to room and I start off writing about how frustrated I am to not be writing a certain thing I want to write. Then voila, soon I am writing again.

How do you plan out the plot of your stories?

If I plot the whole book, I will never write it. So I can only have a general idea of where it's going in my head. Then I let the story and the story people go where they naturally want to go. 

You are filling out this interview as part of a tour with Itsy Bitsy Book Bits. What made you choose Itsy Bitsy Book Bits?

I've hired Itsy Bitsy Book Bits before, and Colleen did a great job! It was wonderful.

Itsy Bitsy Book Bits link - https://itsybitsybookbits.com/


Find Ms. Parmley at:

Website: https://debraparmley.com/

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/authordebraparmley/

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/debraparmley/

Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/2279340.Debra_Parmley?from_search=true&from_srp=true

BookBub: https://www.bookbub.com/authors/debra-parmley


 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment