Monday, March 28, 2022

The Invited by Jennifer McMahon Book Review


 

I had no idea what this book was about when I bought it as I didn’t read the blurb. I just liked the cover. I pulled it off my shelf the other day to give it a read. I will admit that I was not immediately pulled into this story, it took a few pages but when I did finally “get” into the story, I didn’t want to put it down.

Helen and Nate decided to quit their jobs in their quest for a simpler life. They bought a property out in the sticks … the property sitting next to a bog and a whole lot of wildlife. Helen, by profession, was a history teacher, and Nate absolutely loved exploring the outdoors … so much so he would keep journals and draw pictures of the wildlife, take pictures. While they were building their dream home, their temporary residence was a beat-up, leaky roofed, tin trailer. Through the house building venture, they met their closest neighbor, a teen girl named Olive. Little did they know that the property they purchased was haunted by the ghost of Hattie Breckenridge, or at least that was town legend, which Nate really did not buy into … until he did.

This is definitely an interesting tale of strange things happening to a couple who were least expecting the town to be so against them. There is also the intertwining tale of what happened to Olive’s mother … the truth of what happened to her, not the conjecture that the town still talked about all these years later.

I think this tale also might be considered in the paranormal genre. Overall, I enjoyed this tale of Hattie’s ghost coming to life through the eyes of Helen. And the ending … that was an unexpected surprise.

Tell me, do you believe in ghosts?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment