Sunday, June 2, 2024

The Clinic by Cate Quinn Book Review



I was intrigued by the cover of this book, so I decided to give it a read. I did something different and flipped to the back to see how many pages this book contained as I wanted a “big” book, a long read. It has 433 pages – perfect for what I was in the mood for. Then, I read the acknowledgements and was impressed with the author’s candidness about her own addiction and how this book came to be.

This book is told in two voices, those of Cara (the receptionist at the Clinic) and Meg (Haley’s sister, with an addiction and other issues of her own). The prologue pulled me in right away. I wanted to know what happened to Haley. We also meet a whole host of other characters.

We meet the Clinic’s residents.

Sierra – the shy one.

Jade – the wanna-be famous person.

Tom – the womanizer, on his fourth marriage.

Dex – the famous one.

Madeline – the one who wants to help everyone.

Dr. Lutz – the owner of the Clinic.

Max – another doctor at the Clinic.

Cara – the receptionist.

Harry – Meg’s long-time friend.

I wasn’t exactly sure what to expect from this tale as I didn’t read the blurb, but the more I read, the more I was pulled into Meg’s story and her quest to find out what happened to Haley. Of course, the other characters add their own layers to this tale. Meg’s job, relationship with Harry, and her own issues add layers to her story. And, the secrets she uncovered under the guise of Dr. Lutz’s newfound treatment that he was working on, yet another layer. Then, nearing the end … the twists. Now, I want to read all of this author’s books.

No comments:

Post a Comment