Sunday, June 30, 2024

The Favorite Girl by Monica Arya Book Review


 

Hmmmm … The Favorite Girl. I had been seeing this floating around social media, folks saying how dark it was, how good. I just had to give it a try.

Okay … yeah, this is pretty dark. I don’t have triggers, so I didn’t find this one too disturbing, but … yeah, I can see where some folks might not be able to stomach this one. The one thing that I feel the author should do is include her trigger warnings in the front of the book and not just on her web site. That’s really my only criticism.

Demi – I like the character Demi. Even though she wanted to give up, she did not. She knew, deep down, there had to be a way out of her situation. She just had to hold onto that hope and her inner strength.

I actually enjoyed the darkness of this one, sometimes thinking – well, that’s creepy. The ending though? That I certainly did not see happening.

If you like deeply disturbing, darker-than-most reads, give this one a try.

The trigger warnings include – sensory deprivation, self-harm, woman degradation, human trafficking, medical experiments, bone garden, cages, violence, graphic scenes, sexual assault, parent abandonment.


No comments:

Post a Comment